Feb 5, 2010

On Not Writing --- {W}rite-of-Passage challenge #8

Page 55 of Bird by Bird, "All you can give us is what life is about from your point of view."

Plot is the main point of your story. Every blog post is a story, however short or long you create it. What is the point of this post?

Write a post with a clear plot- the point in which you are trying to make.



The cursor taunts me.

I am contemplating this blank, white page...realizing that filling it with words would be impossible. Not just because these internet doohickeys could absorb infinite words, but because somewhere along the way, my brain ran dry.

I am not sure how it happened. Once, I was full of poetry...just brimming with symbolism and hyperbole. And, even though I just inadvertently rhymed poetry and hyperbole, the rest is gone gone gone. I no longer think in poetry, let alone hyperbole. In fact, it might be better if I tried not to think at all.

Yes, the stars are beautiful tonight, and yes, when I peer up at them, they look like they are rushing down at me with the intention of landing at my feet. On nights like tonight, I smell burning magnolia leaves. Russian perfume and patchouli mix up in my mind. I hear babies breath and the milky way tastes like honey.

But, I can't write.

I can only draw from experience. Hop and skip through the rotating, never-to-be linear sidewinder called time. Read between the dimensional lines. Seek patterns in both clouds and chaos.

Write my life by living it.


2 comments:

Ms Dreamer said...

Most days, my cursor is a heinous hag who taunts me as well. I have a story that, for six months, was my every waking thought. Now? K & L are beginning to complain.

Here's to getting our muses to come home.

'Seek patterns in both clouds and chaos.' That so needs to go on an inspirational plaque for writer's block. :)

Liz@thisfullhouse said...

I love Mrs. Dreamer's describing her cursor as, "a henious hag," heh!

Loved this!